HOME > Living In Fukuoka > Utilities > Water

3. Water

Starting and Stopping Water Supply

When starting or stopping your water supply when moving or for other reasons, contact the Customer Service Center of the Fukuoka City Waterworks Bureau and notify them of your address, name, and moving date.

Customer Service Center Tel: 092-532-1010
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:45-17:30, Saturdays 9:00-17:00

* Closed on Sundays, national holidays, and the year-end and New Year holidays

Billing and Payment

Meter Reading and Invoice
Every two months, a meter reader will check the meter and leave a slip (Notice of Amount of Water Used) with the amount of water used and an invoice printed on it in your mailbox. A sewage charge is also included in the bill. In some cases the water service bill is included in the rent, please confirm with your real estate agent (landlord).

Method of Payment
Three types of payment options are available: automatic transfer from a personal bank account (jido koza furikae), payment by credit card, and cash payment at any bank, post office, or convenience store upon receiving a payment slip. For automatic transfer or credit card payment, you will need to fill out an application.

<Inquiries for Water bill>
Fukuoka City Waterworks Bureau
Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00-17:00
*Closed on weekends, national holidays, and the year-end/New Year holidays

- Higashi Office Tel: 092-641-4875
- Hakata Office Tel: 092-441-1491
- Chuo Office Tel: 092-521-6155
- Minami Office Tel: 092-541-4131
- Jonan Office Tel: 092-831-1311
- Sawara Office Tel: 092-831-1221
- Nishi Office Tel: 092-882-1311

When Water Supply is Disconnected

If you are very behind in paying your bills, the water supply may be stopped. You will be charged a basic rate even if you do not use water, so keep that in mind when you are away for a long period of time. If your water supply has been disconnected for the above cause, pay the overdue amount first and then contact the Tsusui Center.

Tsusui Center Tel: 092-532-1022
Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00-20:00 * Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays, and the year-end and New Year holidays 9:00-17:00

When Water Leaks or Stops Running

If a water leakage occurs or your water supply stops, contact the FCWB Maintenance Department's Emergency After-Hours Hotline.*

<Contact information>
Maintenance Department, Fukuoka City Waterworks Bureau
Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00-17:30
*Closed on weekends, national holidays, and the year-end/New Year holidays
Emergency After-Hours Hotline
Tel: 0120-29-0432
Hours: Monday-Friday 17:30-8:45; weekends, national holidays, and the year-end/New Year holidays 8:45 to 8:45 the following morning

Precautions for Winter

Water pipes may freeze and burst during the winter. If there are pipes outside that are prone to freezing, use an insulating tube to keep the pipe warm. If the pipe bursts, tighten the valve located inside the water meter box, then contact a maintenance specialist. For rented and/or group housing, contact your landlord or realtor.
List of FCWB-designated waterworks maintenance specialists:


Sewage service starts at the same time as the water supply; the usage fee, which depends on the amount of water used or the number of people in your household, is charged together with the water bill. If you use well-water exclusively, you will only be charged for the sewage fee.

Sewage Trouble

If your household water pipes become damaged or clogged, you are responsible for the repair costs. You must use a company specializing in such repairs, but if you do not know who to call, contact Fukuoka City Plumbing Cooperative Union for advice. You can also ask the Union’s Water Supply and Drainage Maintenance Center directly to repair the damage.

- Drainage Maintenance Section, Wastewater Facility Department, Road and Wastewater Bureau,Fukuoka City Tel: 092-711-4534

- Fukuoka City Plumbing Cooperative Union Tel: 092-531-3066

* Water Supply and Drainage Maintenance Center Tel: 0120-1132-55 (open 24 hours)