HOME > Living In Fukuoka > Utilities > Electricity

1. Electricity

Commencement of Electricity Supply Service

When you move in, fill in your name, address, service commencement date, commencement designation number, and payment method on the Electricity Service Application Form found in your room, and mail it in the enclosed self-addressed, stamped envelope to Kyushu Electric Power. After applying, you can begin using electricity by turning all switches on the main circuit breaker to “on” (iri 入). If power does not come on even when the switch is set to "on", make a phone call to the call center. If you use an electric hot water heater, also turn the unit’s breaker to “on”. (However, you can only use hot water from the day after you turned the breaker to "on", so you will need to switch it to "on" the day before you plan on using hot water.)

*In the case that you are not provided with an application form, please telephone the call center.

Discontinuation of Electricity Supply Service

Once you know your moving date, contact the nearest Kyushu Electric Power’s Call Center. Give them your customer number, address, name, moving date and time, and contact address for after you've moved. A service person will visit your residence on the day you move or the day after to make the necessary arrangements for turning off electricity.

*You can also complete procedures for commencing and canceling electricity use online (only available in Japanese).

Billing and Payment

Meter Reading and Invoice
Once a month, a meter reader checks the electricity meter and leaves a Notice of Electricity Consumption with the amount of electricity used and an invoice in your mailbox.
*Sample of Notice

Method of Payment
Three types of payment options are available: automatic transfer from a personal bank account (jido koza furikae), payment by credit card, and cash payment at any bank, post office, or convenience store upon receiving a payment slip from Kyushu Electric Power. For automatic transfer or credit card payment, you will need to fill out an application.

Power Failure

In the case of a power failure, follow the instructions below

1. Check to see whether power is out in neighboring houses.
2. If neighboring houses have power, check the distribution switchboard.
3. Remove electrical plugs for all electronic appliances from sockets.
4. If the breaker is down, switch it back up to “on”(iri 入).
5. If it is up, turn each breaker switch to “off” (kiri 切) then switch each to “on” one by one.
6. Return all electrical appliance plugs to their sockets.
7. If power does not resume, contact Kyushu Electric Power.

*If you find a downed power line, stay away from it and notify Kyushu Electric Power immediately.

<Kyushu Electric Power Co. Ltd.>

http://www.kyuden.co.jp/  Mobile version at http://kyuden.jp/
Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00-17:00
*closed Dec. 29-Jan. 3

- Fukuoka Higashi Office
Tel: 0120-986-204 (2-19-12 Najima, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka)
- Fukuoka Office
Tel: 0120-986-205 (2-1-82 Watanabedori, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka)
- Fukuoka Nishi Office
Tel: 0120-986-206 (1-9-20 Meinohama Eki Minami, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka)
- Fukuoka Minami Office
Tel: 0120-986-207 (1-6-5 Futsukaichi Nishi, Chikushino-shi)

The complete liberalisation of electric power retail began in April 2016, allowing households to choose their electricity providers and service plans as they wish.